5558 California Ave, Suite 120 Bakersfield, CA 93309

Child Custody modifications

Child Custody Modifications in Kern County

Custody arrangements, even when those are finalized as orders of the family court, remain modifiable as the needs of the parties and the minor children change over periods of time. As children grow, a custody agreement that was appropriate when they were young may no longer be appropriate, whether because of the child’s preferences, their involvement in extracurricular activities, or the relocation of one or both of the parents.

When Can Custody be Modified?

Obtaining a modified child custody order requires the party seeking a modification to show, first that there has been a significant change in circumstances post judgement, or the second that the requested modification is in the best interest of the minor children. The court will look at the following factors to determine what is in the best interests of the child or children in question:

  • The child’s age
  • The child’s health, safety, and welfare
  • Instances of domestic violence by either parent
  • The distance of each party’s home from the children’s schools
  • History of drug or alcohol abuse by either parent
  • The child’s preference, based on the level of maturity
  • The nature and depth of the relationship between each party and the children

The court will consider both of the parents’ desires as well, but in ruling on a custody and visitation issue, the best interests of the children will be paramount in coming to a decision to modify a custody agreement. These are complicated issues. Jim Canaday has several years of experience in these matters and can guide you through the process, fight for your rights where necessary, and assist you in achieving a positive outcome.

If you are involved in a child custody modification, you need an experienced family law attorney. Call the Law Office of Jim R. Canaday today at (661) 328-1910.

Skip to content