5558 California Ave, Suite 120 Bakersfield, CA 93309

Marital Settlement Agreements

Marital Settlement Agreements in Bakersfield, California

How Our Office Can Help You

When considering divorce, there are many terms that must be figured out long before coming to a final resolution. The actual resolution is called a marital settlement agreement. These court orders include everything from asset division to child custody and everything in between. While some agreements are decided upon in court, many can be settled outside of court with the utilization of an uncontested divorce. Every factor that needs to have a resolution will go into writing. When these terms are listed in the marital agreement, they become the stipulations that both spouses now have to live by.

Canaday Family Law has handled many divorces throughout Kern County. Let us help you through this difficult time with a free comprehensive consultation today.

What Goes Into a Divorce Agreement?

The marital settlement agreement can cover a lot of legal ground, but in some cases, it may not.

Some probable issues that may occur are:

  • Parenting agreements
  • Child support
  • Spousal support (otherwise known as alimony)
  • Asset division
  • Status of the home
  • Debt division
  • Resolutions about how future disputes will be handled

This may seem like a crowded list, it is only to avoid future conflict and confusion among the spouses.

The purpose of a marital settlement agreement is to compile a comprehensive document that will be legally binding for both spouses. This is why so many different factors must be decided upon. In some cases, spouses must have a prenuptial agreement which may make this agreement easier to form, but even without a prenuptial agreement, a marital settlement agreement can be reached without having to go to court. An experienced attorney can help explain this process in detail.

Can My Marital Settlement Agreement Ever Be Changed?

A marital settlement agreement is a legally binding agreement that is a result of divorce proceedings. All the conditions of the divorce are included in this document. Although the document is legally binding, and in the case of uncontested divorce you agreed to all these terms, you may want these terms changed if future proceedings arise. If you or your spouse want the terms of this legal agreement changed, you can file for a modification with the Kern County Courts which may or may not be granted.

Skip to content